International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The ongoing humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has reached catastrophic levels with millions facing severe hunger in some parts of the country, the recent outbreak of violence and resulting displacement in Ituri Province is now considered to be the worst humanitarian crisis across the country. There are huge gaps in every humanitarian sector (Health, Nutrition, WASH, NFI, Shelter).
As a result, International Medical Corps has determined there is a critical need for essential health services and will contribute to the reduction of morbidity and mortality of the impacted population in the humanitarian crisis in the DRC by providing basic Primary Health Center services to both adults and children with provisional essential drugs via Medical Mobile Units in the Ituri province in the DRC to those who have been impacted by the Humanitarian Crisis.
In addition to PHC services we will implementing emergency preparedness and response activities via health education and hygiene promotion with CHWs (especially with the risk of cholera) as well as nutrition counseling and education.
The Medical Coordinator for Bunia oversees International Medical Corps’ response for the provision essential health services prime responsibilities are to manage the day-to-day activities of the medical program and the training of the health staff, to provide medical expertise and guidance for the medical staff, to ensure regular and adequate drug supplies for all sites, to monitor and evaluate medical activities, to ensure the highest standards of care within the medical program and to provide representation as needed.
This position will report into the Team Lead with a dotted line to Technical Unit backstop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation
1. Program Management
• Act as the technical manager for day to day management of IMC health programs providing direct supervision to medical staff and technical support to non-medical staff
• Work closely with direct line manager, senior management, and field teams to determine the operational needs of the medical program within the scope of the grants
• Work closely with the medical doctors and health teams to ensure high quality service provision for beneficiaries using nationally or internationally accepted standards
• Review reporting systems with a view to revise or design and implement a system to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators and outcomes of the country programs as well as trends in mortality and morbidity
• Review and provide input for monthly field reports in order to analyze trends and adjust the programs as needed
• Ensure implementation of standardized national health information systems
• Work with direct line manager, field teams, partnering agencies and national health authorities for outbreak preparedness and contingency planning
• Work with field teams to ensure continued provision of basic life serving services in case of full evacuation of re-locatable staff due to insecurity
• Work with direct line manager, senior management and field teams to plan for future program directions in terms of beneficiary needs, new sites, and / or new programs
• Work with direct line manager, senior management and field teams to contribute to concept notes for future funding following the protocols and formats of each relevant donor
• Work with field teams and logistics to procure drugs in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply based on site consumption while adhering to national drug protocols and program budgets
• Work with UN agencies (UNICEF,WHO,UNFPA) and partner agencies to acquire drug kits and health information materials for medical programs
• Analyze pharmacy reports to monitor drug consumption per site and adjust procurement plan and activities as needed
• Regularly update country office on progression of programs as per protocol
• Maintain flexibility to take on added responsibility as and when needed
• Attend health coordination meetings as well as other coordination meetings which are relevant to country programs as needed
• Represent the organization at task force meetings, assessment missions, camp coordination meetings, UN coordination meetings, INGO coordination meetings as needed
• Serve as a liaison with MOH on matters related to the program to ensure programmatic accountability as needed
• Participate in coordination meetings and communicate relevant information to direct line manager and other health staff as needed
• Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
• Lead the production of reports at field sites and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
3. Human Resources Management
• Assist in the selection and training of qualified health staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff as needed
• Supervise the day-to-day health staff to ensure smooth and effective operations
• Work with HR department to ensure compliance to local labor laws including working hours
• Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
4. Training/ Capacity Building
• Work closely with the medical doctors and health teams to determine the technical and non-technical training needs of the medical staff to ensure high quality program implementation and compliance with minimum standards
• Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs
• Collaborate with direct line manager and relevant national and international health authorities for revision of existing curriculum or development of new curriculum to be utilized in implemented by and implement those plans through the management team and field teams
• Advocate and plan for professional development for expat and national staff
5. Working Relationships
• Maintain frequent communication with Senior Management Team to ensure program activities and objectives are communicated
• Maintain strong working relationships with Finance, Logistics, HR/Admin and other relevant departments to ensure smooth implementation of program activities
• Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies
7. Policy Adherence
• Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
• Adhere to Code of Conduct, maintain Humanitarian Principles and respect International Humanitarian Law at all times
8. Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
• Medical degree; preferably with a Master’s in Public Health with at least 3 years’ post- medical college graduation
• A minimum of 3 years of experience required in a developing country or resource deprived environment or equivalent combination of education and experience or a combination of these.