JOB SUMMARY: International Medical Corps (IMC) seeks an Interim Program Director for its Yemen response. This position, would be based in Yemen (but potentially with some remote management from Jordan depending on changes in security conditions and visa approvals), will temporarily oversee and ensure the continued success of IMC Yemen’s emergency programs across the country.
The primary function of the Interim Program Director includes overseeing the planning, design, implementation, supervision, expansion/development and administration of overall country programs, working closely with the Country Director, Finance and Admin Director, Logistics Coordinator, and all departments under the Yemen mission. The Interim Program Director will help act as the lead point of contact with all donors as well as other agencies and actors in Yemen, including other NGOs, UN agencies, and coordination forums during the selected short-term period.
The selected candidate will be responsible for all development and expansion of emergency health and nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods assistance, as well as MHPSS and protection interventions, including management of all grants and program staff during the short-term period. Travel may be required to field sites, including Ibb, Taiz, Aden, Lahj, Al Dhale’e, Sana’a, and other target Governorates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
1. Program Management
- Work closely with the Country Director, senior management, and field teams to determine the operational needs of the program within the scope of the grants
- Work with field teams and logistics to procure program supplies within program budgets, including through the creation of procurement plans.
- Oversee existing programs, to monitor effectiveness, appropriateness and cost effectiveness.
- Work closely with Health and Nutrition Coordinator, WASH Coordinator, and FSL Coordinator in development, improvement and expansion of projects.
- Lead development of essential standardized toolkits (such as referral protocols, communication procedures, best practice guideline, etc.).
- Regularly update country office on progression of programs as per protocol.
- Maintain flexibility to take on added responsibility as and when needed
- Support program resource allocation and management
- In coordination with in-country technical team, (health, nutrition, mental health, WASH, food security), oversee activity implementation
- Support management of potential partner relationships
- Ensure all programs are implemented according to strategy, work plans, and budget, in addition to meeting indicators in a timely manner
- Complete regular visits to the field to ensure proper implementation of activities, determine programmatic gaps, etc.
- Liaise closely with Finance and Admin Director to ensure all programs are on track for financial spending, including through the creating of spending plans and monthly pipelines
- Coordinate grant kick-off meetings for any new funding received, including program, logistics, and finance
- Provide regular program updates to IMC Headquarters staff, including reporting on areas of interest to promote IMC’s mission and programs in the area.
2. Proposal Development and Grants Management
- Conduct assessments and contribute to production of proposals for new projects
- Plan and design quality programming, in line with country strategies and in response to donor guidelines
- Oversee development of new proposals, in coordination with various departments and relevant HQ staff, including the creation of relevant and achievable indicators
- Compile program budgets based on project activities in coordination with finance department
- Ensure program compliance with donor policies and regulations and complementary with other agencies' efforts
3. Support Monitoring and Evaluation Systems
- Analyze data gathered and propose alternative strategies of program implementation
- Oversee compilation of monthly and quarterly reports, ensuring statistics are correct and on time
- Work with the reporting officers to design and implement a reporting system to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators and outcomes of the country programs as well as trends in mortality and morbidity
- Use data to plan for future evidenced-based programming
- Attend coordination meetings which are relevant to country programs
- Represent the organization at task force meetings, assessment missions, camp coordination meetings, UN coordination meetings, INGO coordination meetings as appropriate
- Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
- Liaise closely with local authorities, donor and partner agencies
- Coordinate donor and stakeholder visits to field sites as needed
- Identify training needs of staff, providing internal training as appropriate
5. Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.