International Medical Corps is a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in areas worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at high risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is currently supported the government of South Sudan trough MOH to improve the health status of South Sudanese by implementing approximately 10 programs across nine sites in South Sudan.
Through nearly 16 health facilities in urban and rural areas, International Medical Corps provides basic health care and integrated service provision, from preventative care to emergency surgery to reduce the morbidity and mortality among vulnerable people including refugees, IDPs and host communities.
To address South Sudan’s acute health worker shortage, and foster self-reliance, International Medical Corps trains health professionals and community volunteers and support the running of 3 Health Science Institutes for midwifery and nursing in Juba, Wau and Kajo Keji areas.
Also, IMC is implementing nutrition, sexual and reproductive health, mental health, and GBV and public health interventions in South Sudan.
The Anesthetist shall work as a part of the Surgical and Medical care team and help in performing surgeries.
He/she is responsible for delivering anesthesia for both surgical and medical procedures.
The Anesthetist cares for a patient before, during and after a medical procedure or surgery by performing a patient assessment, preparing the patient for anesthesia, administering and maintaining the anesthesia to ensure proper sedation and pain management, overseeing patient recovery from anesthesia and caring for the patient’s immediate post-operative needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation. The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
· Prepare preoperative assessments including health histories, physical examination, any allergies and tests to determine if giving anesthesia to the patient would meet desire objective.
· Inform the patient about the process and effects of anesthesia before surgery.
· Must be experienced in administering anesthesia, which can be local, inhalation, spinal, intravenous and other anesthetics whenever it is applicable.
· Accurately measuring, mixing and putting together the appropriate concentration of anesthetics to administer.
· Administering anesthesia during General, Orthopedics, Gynecological and Obstetric surgery, Neurosurgery, Plastic and other medical and dental procedures to ensure proper sedation and pain management at appropriate levels of anesthesia during surgery.
· Initiates remedial measures to prevent surgical shock or other adverse conditions.
· Ensure that the patient’s vital signs stay healthy and normal and inform the surgeon immediately if anything seems unusual before, during and after anesthesia.
· Overseeing patient recovery from anesthesia, pain management, caring for the patient’s immediate postoperative needs and ensuring that the patient is responding well and getting back to normal.
· Document patient’s reports: preoperative assessment, intra and postoperative anesthesia procedures.
· Provide training periodically and on-job training that will ensure quality anesthetic support services for the benefit of other medical staff.
· Participate in compiling, analyzing and submitting reports.
· Actively promote prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
· Perform other duties as may be required by the supervisor, as the duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.